South Shields is a beautiful Coastal Town at the mouth of the River Tyne, about four miles downstream from Newcastle upon Tyne. With a busy High Street, a variety of restaurants and breathtaking seascapes, it truly is an oasis within the North-East region. South Shields slopes gently from Cleadon Hills down to the river and has six miles of coastline with extensive beaches including a National Trust protected area, and Marsden Bay with its famous Marsden Rock and historic Grotto.
Getting around the North East couldn't be easier with local Metro Stations offering frequent services and Bus Connections leading to Newcastle City Centre, North Tyneside, Sunderland and everything in between in addition to road links A194 and A19 leading to the A1(M). A Ferry Terminal also runs between South and North Shields.
Shopping and Leisure
South Shields town centre is the place to be for those looking for retail therapy having a variety of shops including supermarkets, clothes shops, home stores, and travel agents to name just a few. There is a good choice of restaurants, cafes, public houses and nightlife as well as hotels, guest houses and caravan parks. Haven Point is a state of the art leisure facility at South Shields seafront, boasting swimming pools, leisure waters with slides, spa saunas, gym, dance studios offering a variety of fitness classes and more. The region possesses long stretches of golden sands, backed by sand dunes and promenade and is home to Ocean Beach Pleasure Park which has a number of Arcades, a Bowling Alley and a Fun Fair. South Shields is home to the finish line of the annual Great North Run which welcomes around 60,000 runners and their friends and families each year. South Marine Park is also located behind the sea front, and holds a special place in the heart of local residents and visitors alike. The Park includes a Cafe, Art Trail, Boating Lake, Miniature Steam Railway, Open Space and Play areas and has been used by local residents and visitors for over 100 Years.
Local schooling is generally regarded as being very good, with a range of Primary and Senior Schools and the area being home to South Tyneside College, one of the two leading maritime training centres in the UK, with facilities including a marine safety training centre and a simulated ship's bridge for the training of deck officers finding the right schools will be a breeze if that is an important consideration in your next move.
South Shields boasts a rich local history with Arbeia Roman Fort, the most extensively excavated Roman military supply base in the Empire just a five minute walk from South Shields Seafront. Today, Arbeia is a fascinating place to visit and is a great insight into what life was like in Roman Britain. It combines the excavated remains of the original fort with excellent reconstructions of buildings.
The first purpose-built lifeboat was built in the Borough in 1789, and South Shields is home to Britain's second oldest preserved lifeboat, the Tyne, which is located at the Wouldhave Memorial on Ocean Road. The area is awash with many tales of smugglers and legends.
5 Reasons to Live in South Shields
- A true Coastal Town with Award-Winning Sandhaven Beach which offers long stretches of golden sand and dunes to families, and having a lovely promenade behind which stretches the length of the seafront and on to the scenic clifftop paths of Frenchman’s Bay and Marsden Bay
- Popular tourist area due to the Beaches, Marsden Rock and Grotto, the parks along the seafront and the entertainment and activities for all ages such as Ocean Beach Pleasure Park, as well as a number of seaside restaurants, cafes or pubs.
- A good selection of housing areas at a range of pricing, such as Westoe Village, West Park and Harton
- Great transport links to major cities such as Newcastle Upon Tyne and Gateshead and across the North East with the Tyne and Wear Metro service with multiple stations in South Shields
- A thriving Town Centre with amenities such as shops, restaurants, pubs and bars as well as culture venues such as the Customs House and South Shields Museum & Art Gallery
Our South Shields Office branch
Our general office opening times are as follows: